Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (2007)



I admit it, I am a sucker for Oprah's Book Club. She hooked me back in the early 90s with Now I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and I have been faithful every since (except for her non-fiction selections, that girl has some serious issues!!)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy is the isolating tale of a father and son, traveling alone along 'the road' to an unknown better place in the years following an apocalypse. It is inferred that this apocalypse was in the form of nuclear war, though it is not clearly stated. It is obvious by the events in the book that this war occurred years perhaps even decades prior to the events in the book. The novel itself is written more like poetry than prose and reads very nicely. The characters suck you in and by the end you will have cried at least once or twice.

I was able to read this book in one day, it is a quick read but will leave you contemplating the events for weeks to come.

Cormac McCarthy also authored No Country for Old Men my favorite movie of 2007.

Wiki: The Wikipedia article for The Road is well written and extensive.

Rating: 9/10

No comments: